Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Banana Bread

Hello all!  So you may laugh at me for this, but....here goes.  I know that I've said that I'm a moderation girl and I eat everything but I like to cook for my friends and family who have special dietary needs.  Well, recently I've discovered that eating gluten-free actually appears to ease a medical condition of mine, so I have been focusing a lot on some gluten-free recipes.  This recipe is a tried and true recipe but my biggest reason why I like it is that it's SO versatile.  At the bottom of this post, I will list a bunch of my favorite ways to change this up to make different delicious treats.

I'd also like to point out that this recipe happens not to use butter, so if you wanted it to be vegan, you can substitute the egg with an egg replacement powder.  I have used Ener-G Egg Replacer and you canNOT tell the difference.  It tastes exactly the same.  So here we go!

Ingredients:
1 cup flour (I have included info for my favorite gluten-free flour in the instructions below)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg (if you want vegan bread, use the egg replacer listed above)
1/2 cup sugar
2 overripe bananas
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil, heated coconut oil can be substituted if you like, as long as it's in liquid form
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5x2 inch pan.  Combine the first four ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.  For gluten free flour, I like to use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free All Purpose Baking Flour.  I like this one because it isn't coarse, like some other alternative flours.  It's the same consistency as wheat flour, and it has a sort of sweet nutty flavor that I think is great for baking.
 

In another larger bowl, combine the egg and sugar.  Remember, for a vegan bread, you can use an egg replacer.  I promise the one I listed above will taste the same.  I'm also going to take this opportunity to say that I LOVE baking and have never once used a stand mixer.  This trusty little hand mixer is the same one that was purchased for me for my first apartment more than a decade ago.  Don't judge my little hand mixer-I bring it up to show you that you do not need fancy tools to be a good baker!
 

Mix in 2 smashed bananas, vanilla, oil, and all spices.  What is that little round thing in the picture below?  It is whole nutmeg.  I strongly urge you to buy whole nutmeg cloves and grate the nutmeg yourself.  It tastes so much better.  And for this recipe, I really think the reason it's so good is because it's essentially spice cake with bananas added to it!  So don't skimp on the spices-they're what make the bread.  Get good spices!
 

Slowly pour the dry ingredients in batches and mix until combined.  Don't over-mix!  I added 1/2 cup of dried cranberries to my recipe, in case you're wondering what else is in the batter!  Pour batter in the pan and cook for one hour.  Depending on humidity and your fruit, your batter may be more wet or dry.  This bread is done when a skewer is inserted into the middle and comes out clean.  I start checking the bread at about 45 minutes.  When the bread is done, let cool and serve for brunch or as a snack.  You can also freeze it.

I really hope that you enjoy this bread.  I've been making it for over 10 years and it is one of my most favorite recipes.  Below I have listed a bunch of modifications that you will love!

*Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips, dried cranberries or your favorite nuts to the banana bread
*The 2 bananas can be substituted with 1 cup of pureed pumpkin, steamed apples, or steamed pears
*For a more savory bread, substitute 1 cup of grated carrots or zucchini.  Eliminate the vanilla and spices and use salt and pepper and a 1/2 cup of your favorite chopped fresh herbs (like parsley, basil, or dill)
*These can also be muffins!  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes-again, start checking them around 15 minutes, depending on the moisture in your bread.

Also, if it is of use to you, here is the nutritional information for this recipe:
1 serving: 1/8 of a loaf
174 calories, 24g carbs, 8g fat, 3g protein, 262mg sodium, 10g sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment